Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Notes from Madrid

It's official.
I suck.

I haven't been writing about my adventures.
Why? (good question).
Because I've been too busy having them.
I mean, seriously, back-to-back.
So, here I'm going to give you the Cliff notes. I promise to fill in the details later.

  • Saturday - Palacio Real de Madrid (the Royal Palace). Talk about opulence. I've never seen such extravagant decor in my life. Madrid is hot as (insert expletive here). I now have some serious tan lines. I got lost on the way home. I cried.
  • Sunday - Bullfight at Las Ventas. Spain wins the Eurocup. I've never seen a city rejoice like that. Got kicked off the metrobus. Cried again. Took me 2 hours to get home.
  • Monday - My relationship hits some turbulence. Too tired to explore.
  • Tuesday - Shopping in Sol (got a skirt & sandals for 5 euros!). Saw a variety of street performers. Got hit on...again. Met up with my host family in town. A fight ensues. A walk through the Old Madrid cools everybody off. Tapas with los abuelos (the grandparents).
  • Wednesday - Bad start to the day. Really beginning to understand Augustin. Fed up with the 4-yr old. Headache cured by mystery medicine. Visit to the "Egypt's Sunken Treasures" exhibit. My possible return to Spain in '09?

Check in for updates. Your comments are what keep me writing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want the details on the second-time you were thrown off the bus and wept; relationship turbulence; the family fight; and the Augustin epiphany...at your own time, of course...you'll miss all this drama-in-a-foreign-land, I'm sure. Am in NYC on my way down to the DC area later this week. Going through some cultural adjustment myself in the Grand Apple.

Anonymous said...

ok, no more of this recap stuff. I want details. What was the fight about? What's with all the crying?
Suck it up!!!!

Franko said...

You know with all of the changes and adjustments to deal with in Spain I'm sure it gives you a new appreciation of what a lot of the "immigrants" in the states deal with. Trust me, I can understand the frustration and stress you are facing. Just get it all out of your system so you can enjoy some sangria and tappas!! Hang in there.