Sunday, June 29, 2008

I want (Yo quiero)...

This post will not be like the others. It's more of a stream of consciousness sort of thing. It's definitely more for me than for you, although you are welcome to tune in.

Right now...
I want to go home. Get on a plane...be on board only long enough to watch a commercial-free sitcom or a BBC documentary and have some ginger ale and peanuts...then be met at the airport by people who love me (and speak fluent English).

I want to lay on the couch with a bowl of Fruity Pebbles with the box stationed nearby for easy refills.
I want to watch Colbert Report.
I want to go to sleep at a normal hour (say 11 or 12 o'clock) without the aid of sleeping pills.
I want to turn on the air conditioning AND the ceiling fan. I want to NEED the blankets piled on my bed.
I want to have dreams that don't involve ants.
I want my first conscious thought to be something besides "God, Please!" as the 4-year old's resonant cries of "Mamita! Mamita!"stab into my dreams.
I want to wake up without feeling groggy.


I want something besides bread and coffee for breakfast.
I want to read the newspaper, watch the news, have a casual conversation, do my laundry or ask for directions without the aid of a dictionary (correction, I don't want to have to ask for directions at all).
I want the doorknob to be on the right hand side of the door, where it's supposed to be, not in the middle of it.
I want to plug in whatever I want.
I want cell phone service.
I want to use my cash or card without trying to calculate how much it is in euros.
I want 1 euro to equal 1 dollar.
I want to conjugate verbs when I speak, without thinking about it.
I want a hug.
I want to hug people I care about.
I want to feel wanted everywhere I go.
I want to be understood.
I want to understand.
I want to be grateful.
I want to recognize, every moment, what a fantastic opportunity it is to be here.
I want to learn the language.
I want to have tapas and wine.
I want to take more pictures.

I want to take the Metro, just pick a random stop and walk around.
I want to read in the park.
I want to watch the openly affectionate people there.
I want to play tennis with Augustin.
I want to touch the walls of a 16th century building.
I want to see the Prado Museum & the Reina Sophia Museum.
I want to write about everything and everybody.
I want to see more of the world.
I want to remember this time forever.
I want to live this life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I could say that I miss you, because I do, but after sitting through professional development this weekend I would not wish you to come home for you too would have had to endure it. Viva Espania! Enjoy yourself, because it is all coming to an end too soon!

Unknown said...

I definitely empathize with the desire for Fruity Pebbles. When I taught English in China for a couple of months, what did I miss most (besides a few beloved people)? Cereal. Oh, and toilets that could handle toilet paper.