Monday, June 23, 2008

El Escorial

Today we drove up to El Escorial (a little town just west of Madrid) to take the children to play with their boats in the pool at their grandparent's house. This was my first chance to go exploring on my own. Don't get me wrong, the Gil de Antunano's are very nice and the children are all little characters of their own, but there's only so much sibling rivalry en espanol I can stand.
El Escorial is a small town nestled along the side of Abanto Mountain in Sierra de Guadarrama. King Phillip II (Felipe Segundo) commissioned the construction of the Real Monasterio de San Lorenzo in 1559. It was finished in 1584. Many of the Spanish kings have since been buried there. Intrigued by the very idea a 16th century architecture, I ventured off alone.

I walked down the steep cobblestown streets of El Escorial (think Charles Dickens' village) towards the monastery. As I descended the wide stone steps into the court, I caught my breath.

Beautiful.

Serene.

I was overcome with an encompassing sense of reverance. Reminded of the palpable presence of God on this earth, I wondered how anyone could doubt it.

I snapped a few pictures, but found myself disappointed. The camera could not capture what my eyes could see. I stood over the Garden of the Friars and stared, hoping to lock the image into my memory.


The bell towers chime the hour. 6 pm.


For a moment, I'm convinced that time doesn't exist at all. There is only now. And this thing we call time is just a rapid succession of nows piling on top of each other. Suddenly I feel stupid for having ever been afraid to live. Whatever it is...is what it was meant to be. What is there to fear?

I am in awe...and at peace.






3 comments:

Kat Park said...

Did you know that San Lorenzo is the patron saint of chefs? Historically speaking, he was supposed to have been martyred when he was roasted on a grill. Thus, the reason why Filipe II decided to build El Escorial in honor of him during the counter-reformation. If you look at the floorplan, it's designed like a grill.

Thanks, Mom, for dreadfully morbid bedtime stories. It is rather beautiful, isn't it?

Faith said...

Oh yes! In fact, the statue of San Lorenzo facing the rear of the monastery has him holding a large handled grill. San Lorenzo was burned on one. Legend has it that he actually told the guards that he was done on one side and that they could turn him over. All I can say is ...."Whoa".

Unknown said...

please turn your adventures into a book. please.