Friday, June 20, 2008

Jet Drag

It's after midnight in Madrid and I'm wide awake. I just woke up from a 4 1/2 hour nap, took a tour of the gardens with Augustin (the family's 12 year old son), ate dinner out on the patio, talked with the family about school, Spanish culture, the economy, alligators in America, the president, the difference between watermelons and honeydew, and why Native American's don't like to be called Indians. There was a lot of "Como se dice _______?" And "This is how you say? right?"
All of this was frequently interrupted by the insistent cries and pleas of the 4 yr old daughter, Naieves, who seems to make up for her diminutive size by being excessively loud. Luckily, she's also cute.
I'd probably add something witty here, but my mind is a bit foggy tonight. Not that it matters, apparently I'm absentminded even when I haven't lost 7 hours to time zone change. I managed to forget both my toe socks AND the usb cable for my digi cam. AND I just discovered that the $29 usb kit I bought at the airport is not compatible with my camera. (expletive).

I guess I better try to go to bed. This jet lag has me draggin'.


Sidenote: Little Naieves just sneaked past me into the kitchen. I paid her no mind. But when I looked, I see a little form squatted down, pouring milk into a sippy cup....and all over the floor. I rushed over to clean up the mess. Before I thought the words, I heard myself. "Cuidado mija". She replied in one continuous string of mezzo-soprano Spanish. I understood the words, "want", "tea", "with milk". Maybe this Spanish thing won't be so hard after all.

No comments: